An Old Schoolhouse burns 1959.
This 75 year old structure burned on Friday the 13th in March of 1959. It was suspected that a heavily snow-ladened roof leaked onto the kitchen wiring, causing the blaze which destroyed much of the building.
This school was a wooden building, comprising of two floors and four rooms. It was heated by a coal burning automatic stoker.
Local resident and contractor, Paul Vermette, drew up plans to build a new school for only about $79,000 by utilizing the labor of Washington citizens. He estimated that would save the town about $35,000, plus they could salvage some parts of the burned school. The new school was dedicated on February 25, 1960, and the town honored Paul on March 17, 1960 for his ingenious and money saving town effort.
The 1891 bell from the burned school still sits proudly on its own platform in front of the current building.