Let there be Lights-1925.
June 12, 1925 brought the first 14 street lights to Washington’s village. The cost of the power was $15.17 a month.
The town officials had to sign a ten year contract guaranteeing payment, with the understanding that the Washington Women’s Club (16 ladies) would raise the money.
George Huntington, age 80, offered to match 50 cents for each dollar that the club raised.
Mrs. Lizzie Avery gave money to purchase two more lights, and the town purchased another four, bringing the street lights to a total of twenty.
Over the ten year contract, the club paid $1,820.40.